The co-pilot for finances

I've lost my job. Where can I find job offers?
Look around the online job portals. They are also available especially for students and with regional reference. There are a lot of changes going on in the job market right now - in some areas demand for labour has risen massively since the corona eruption:
+ - because vegetables and fruit do not grow on supermarket shelves, so off to the field, into the fresh air!
+ you have the paramedic or similar medical background? Many communities, clinics etc. are looking for medical helpers
+ Delivery services in all industries are now more in demand than ever
+ the logistics sector needs support
+ cleaning companies, gas stations...
Where can I get financial help? Do I have to take out a loan?
We will not leave you standing in the rain! Please contact our social counselling centre under 063419179-180 or by mail Barbara Doll is there for you under this also in corona-times!

Our social counselling service knows all about the financial side of things. They know exactly which options are available at the moment and how to get them. In addition to Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW) and Co., we as a student union have possibilities to help financially in cases of hardship.
Will the corona pandemic and the postponement of the summer semester 2020 have an impact on my BAföG?
No, as the Federal Ministry of Education and Research has informed us by decree, the postponement of the start of lectures has no effect on BAföG entitlement under any circumstances. Students (whether they are first-year students or already receiving support) have no reason to fear that they will not receive any money in or for April 2020. Self-study and online studies also count as study activities. It is important that the BAföG application must be submitted in April 2020 at the latest, if you have not yet received a BAföG decision for the summer semester 2020.
What else can I do if I cannot pay my health insurance, rent, mobile phone bill etc.?
If you are currently unable to make the payments, please contact your health insurance company, your landlord, your mobile phone provider, the GEZ, etc. Do not wait until the payments are reminded. Ask them to defer your payments and, if necessary, to block the reminder. If it is possible for you, you can ask if you can pay a smaller amount.
If I lose my job or am not paid my salary, am I currently entitled to government housing benefits?
Not by default. Anyone who currently has no income due to loss of job or non-payment of wages is not automatically entitled to apply for government housing benefits. The basic requirement of a BAföG refusal "on the merits" and the examination of the coverage of monthly living costs remains. In short: the eligibility requirements for housing benefit remain the same as before the corona crisis.
What should I keep in mind when considering a student loan?
Compare, compare, compare! Check the requirements for the student loan, then ask for offers and check them carefully (processing fees, interest rate and repayment modalities). It is important to check the total repayment amount of the loan in different repayment scenarios before signing the contract. In addition, you should inform yourself well about possible additional costs that might be incurred.
You could use some help? Get in touch with our social counselling centre under 06341-9179-180 or write an email to
If I lose my part-time job or my wages are not paid, am I entitled to ALG II benefits?
International students are generally not eligible for unemployment benefit II because they are not entitled to social benefits. However, in case of doubt, get in touch with our social counselling centre under 06341-9179-180 or write an email to
My parents or one of my parents are acutely affected by the Corona crisis; they have no or only a severely reduced income. Can I get higher BAföG now?
If your parents now earn less, for example because of short-time work, your chances of receiving BAföG or a higher BAföG grant are greater.

Scenario 1:
If you did not receive BAföG in the past because of parental income, but your parents now earn less, you can submit a new BAföG application at any time and have the current parental income used as a basis for updating.

Scenario 2:
If you are already receiving BAföG but your parents' income is currently lower (for example, due to short-time work), you can submit a BAföG update application and your BAföG office will check the amount of your current BAföG entitlement.

Basically, please contact your BAföG office for further questions. You are not sure and need support? Then you can also contact our social counselling office. You can reach them by mail or by phone 06341-9179-180.
Will my entitlement to educational support through my parents continue to exist now?
Yes, provided that your parents are still economically capable; otherwise you may be entitled to BAföG.
Self-study (reading specialist literature, research for and writing of papers or theses, etc.) or online studies also count as study activities, especially in the current situation.
In exceptional cases, your parents may have to accept delays and interruptions of your studies and the resulting extension of your alimony payments. In the case of delays and interruptions of your studies, the individual case must be considered, especially if there are special reasons for delay worthy of recognition. In the present situation, which is completely unforeseeable for everyone, a delay in your studies, if it is due to official measures, is completely beyond your control. However, you should use the extended lecture-free period as time for self-study.

Life in general

The Co-Pilot on life during the corona pandemic

I am a student abroad and wanted to start my studies in Germany in the 2020 summer semester. I already have a rental contract with the Studierendenwerk Vorderpfalz for a room in a dormitory. Currently I cannot enter Germany. Is my tenancy agreement still valid? Can I terminate the tenancy agreement without notice?
Yes, the rental agreement is still valid. No, termination without notice is usually not possible. The contractually agreed notice periods apply. In this case, please contact our dormitory administration directly to discuss possible solutions! You can reach them best by mail
I'm considering taking a semester off because of the Corona crisis. What do I need to be aware of?
Watch out: There is no BAföG entitlement for a semester off - which a break from studying - because there is no study programme! Please make sure to inform yourself before taking a semester off what consequences it would have for the financing of your studies. For information on the requirements for receiving benefits according to the Social Security Statute Book II (basic security, "Hartz IV") during the semester off, you can contact our advice centre ( But it is important to note that a semester off is not a course of study; you are not allowed to take any academic performance during the semester off.
I cancelled my one-room apartment/shared room with the Studierendenwerk Vorderpfalz as of 31.3.2020 and actually have to move out next week. Now I am ill with Covid-19 or in quarantine. Do I have to move out?
No. We're not asking you to clear out the apartment in this situation. Even now, the enforcement law already says: The tenant's right to physical integrity has priority over the owner's/landlord's interest in eviction. Since all people are called upon to act in solidarity and to drastically reduce contacts, the tenant cannot be obliged to move out - also for the protection of others.

This also applies if you live in an apartment or a room in a shared flat or if you are subletting on the free housing market.
My tenancy agreement with the Studierendenwerk Vorderpfalz ends on 31 March 2020 because I wanted to move out/leave. Due to the current situation, I will stay at the university location for the summer semester 2020 and continue to study as best I can. However, my room has been sublet as of 1.4.2020. Can I keep the room after all? Or will I get another room on 1.4.2020? Can I move to another dormitory?
If the room has already been sublet, you cannot stay in the room, as there is a legally valid rental agreement for the room. Please re-apply and after confirmation of your application speak to the responsible person in our dormitory administration.

It may well be that there are still rooms available in the dormitories due to the cancellation of other students. However, at the moment we cannot guarantee that a seamless occupancy will be possible by April 1st, 2020 - or possibly a little later.


The co-pilot against worries and hardships

I am distressed - everything is closed and I really need to talk to someone!
Do it! Our advice centre is also there for you in corona-time! Just call or write a mail. Whether the problem is financial, personal, crisis-related or something completely different - we are there for you!

Write either to or call under 06341-9179-180.